Sandra Bullock | “Respect”
There will always be a reason why you meet people. Either you need them to change your life or you’re the one that will change theirs.
--Angel Flonis Harefa (via thegirllostinstars)
Leaving is not enough. You must stay gone. Train your heart like a dog. Change the locks even on the house he’s never visited. You lucky, lucky girl. You have an apartment just your size. A bathtub full of tea. A heart the size of Arizona, but not nearly so arid. Don’t wish away your cracked past, your crooked toes, your problems are papier mache puppets you made or bought because the vendor at the market was so compelling you just had to have them. You had to have him. And you did. And now you pull down the bridge between your houses, you make him call before he visits, you take a lover for granted, you take a lover who looks at you like maybe you are magic. Make the first bottle you consume in this place a relic. Place it on whatever altar you fashion with a knife and five cranberries. Don’t lose too much weight. Stupid girls are always trying to disappear as revenge. And you are not stupid. You loved a man with more hands than a parade of beggars, and here you stand. Heart like a four-poster bed. Heart like a canvas. Heart leaking something so strong they can smell it in the street.
--Frida Kahlo (via allmymetaphors)
Love is a verb, not a noun. It is active. Love is not just feelings of passion and romance. It is behavior. If a man lies to you, he is behaving badly and unlovingly toward you. He is disrespecting you and your relationship. The words “I love you” are not enough to make up for that. Don’t kid yourself that they are.
--Susan Forward, When Your Lover Is a Liar (via simply-quotes)
1. Killing yourself will not be poetic. Jumping off a building will do nothing but turn your body into a puzzle that can never be put back together again.
2. Scars are just handmade tattoos woven out of our sorrow.
3. Before you get a tattoo you research the artist, inspect the tools, argue with yourself over the design and whether or not you want it to be a permanent part of your body. You should go through the same procedure before marking your own skin.
4. Warning labels exist for a reason. Read them.
5. You are not Atlas. You are not responsible for the world. Take a break, give Hercules the burden for a while.
6. If the sun were to go out, it would take us eight minutes and twenty seconds to notice. Live every minute as if the sun has already left and you only have so much time to say the words you need to say: I love you; I’m sorry; I miss you.
7. Sometimes you miss all the signs and end up at a dead end. It’s okay to go back to where you started and try again.
8. Dying is not beautiful or artistic or romantic; living is.
9. Love is fleeting. The only animals who can get it right are the ones who don’t live long enough to see it spoil.10. If humans were meant to fly we would’ve been born with wings, not hearts that feel heavier than eight ounces and a set of bones that sink with the weight of our collective loneliness.
32. I’m a lover without a lover.
33. I’m lovely and lonely.
34. I belong deeply to myself.
--Warsan Shire, excerpt from “34 Excuses For Why We Failed At Love” (via larmoyante)
You’ve a place in my heart no one else ever could have.
--F. Scott Fitzgerald (via de-licacy)
Sometimes, reaching out and taking someone’s hand is the beginning of a journey.
At other times, it is allowing another to take yours.
--Vera Nazarian, The Perpetual Calendar of Inspiration (via quotes-shape-us)
And stay there with me forever.